Friday, June 12, 2009

My Night with Barry Obama and Dirty Harry (May 26, 2009)

For all those who don't know, I'm a registered Democrat (mostly because Scoonie chose to be Republican when we signed up at the DMV - this way we get to hear both sides). Anyway, a lawyer who works in my office is a Democrat activist. He offered to help me with a certain legal issue and, because of that, I offered to help out with some Democrat volunteer work. For instance, I walked for Andy Hafen a couple of weeks in a row. Andy was running for mayor of Henderson. Turns out, I am most-likely related to Andy as he has some St. George Hafen roots. Andy won by 45 votes by the way and I'm pretty sure it was because of all the walking I did, but I digress (oh, and you might see me in a florescent yellow Andy Hafen T-shirt and hat one of these days, so now you won't have to ask me where I got it).

Because of the work I did for Andy, I was able to be a volunteer for the Obama fundraiser for Harry Reid. I didn't have to do too much, basically crowd control, but I did get to see Obama and Reid close up.

Now before you go call the Republican missionaries, I'm not a totally lost soul, after all, I did vote for Bush twice...and yes, I know, I'm going to H. E. double hockey sticks for being a Democrat volunteer, but whatever your political allegience, you've got to admit that just to see the President of the U.S. this close (whatever political party he/she belongs to) is pretty cool. So enough with the blabber, here's my proof-



And not only did I see Barry and Harry, but I got to see these folks too:

Rita Rudner
Cheryl Crow
Bette Midler
Don King
Tom Collins (Clark County Commissioner)
Steven Horsford (Nevada Senate Majority Leader)
Dina Titus (US Representative)
Shelley Berkley (US Representative)
Dean Heller (US Representative)

4 comments:

Le said...

I think it is totally stupid that you have to register with a party. After being in WA so long the idea of having to choose a party is ridiculous. And being politically involved is a good thing even if you are working for the dark side. =P Also I don't think that I would be impressed if I were to be that close to a president if I didn't believe in them, regardless of their political affiliation.

Karen Valinda said...

And one of those names made being naked under her clothes a very catchy trade mark... so much for my political activism ;-}
xoxoxox

Linda Gubler said...

So glad to hear you aren't lost...and yes, what an experience. But if you need the R Missionaries, just let me know :-) Mom

Kathy said...

Congrats! I would be excited too, if I were you. I think it is cool that you can say you were in the same room as a U.S. President. Not a lot of people get that chance.

But then again, I am not Republican.